Wednesday 10 October 2007

That Lime Plant

Since my dad passed away, i am pretty much the one entrusted to take care of the plants outside the flat. Hmm i ain't the kind of person who would actually bother to look and talk to plants, my assumed routine is juz water them every couple of days and that's it. All the plants my dad had were pretty much fuss-free & hardy to the weather.

But there's somethin not goin well with the lime plant. There's white cottony stuff growin at every joints of the branches. hmm fungus?? tried hard to recall some things i learnt in my Plant Science module in Poly. hmm no idea but i was told by a florist that those stuff were actually insects. ok so mum & i bought tis Systemic spray to rid of those stuff, sprayed twice and it looked like the cottony thingy seemed to sorta wrinkled up. Good i thot, so i decided to snip off some ends of the branches, rid some leaves hopin that new shoots will grow since who noes, auxin accumulations at the ends will lead to retardation of shoot growth (ehem plant science geek talk). After a few waterings, eyyyy shoots really grew lah! more n more! ok happy happy.

eversince, i kinda observe the new shoots with new light green leaves, somehow feelin relieved every time cos there ain't any white cottony stuff growin there. then, a couple of days ago..i started seein my new leaves goin out of shape...more like they were bein nibbled on! URGHH!

Must be those damn caterpillars!! Urghhhhh!!! Caterpillars...reminded me of the periwinkle plants i had to look after in my 2nd year in SP. I had such a breeze lookin after those plants till caterpillars appear! HUGE GREEN ONES!!! YUCK!! And they were tough to remove, they cling to the bloody leaves! I dun wanna see them anymore, especially not on the lime plant!

So today after waterin the plants and seein more damaged leaves, i decided to take a closer look at the leaves to see if i can spot any of those squirmy crawlers! ooo ooo oooo...i saw not one, not two...but at least 6 of them in 3 different sizes! but they are way smaller compared to the ones i found on the peiwinkle plants...i think they r still baby ones...black, brown and furry lookin!! Eeewwwww~~~~

Grabbed a pair of scissors and snipped of the leaves that they were restin on, and throw them all downstairs..like they were on some magic carpet or somethin...eeewwwww!!! i felt guilty for awhile, cos they might suffer but oh well, some birds would thank me for the food man! hah!

It is only now I understand why almost everyday my late dad would look at his lime plant before he enters our home every time he returned from work or mosque. I remember hearin the jangling of his keys when he walked thru the corridor and i await in my room for him to open the door and peer at me when he enters the house, but i always had to wait quite some time before he did cos he would pause to look at his lime plant and pick on caterpillars or remove damaged leaves. My mum said she reminiscence his silhouette at the lime plant spot every now and then. My poor mum, it is still very hard for her to overcome his passing...every lil things reminds her of him.

I guess it's my turn now to be scrutinisin the lime plant and the others..well i may not be givin those plants tender lovin care, but I'll try to at least keep them alive. I used to some time get pissed with my dad when I see the soil of the plants get too dry. I mean, if u dun have time, why take such responsibilities of lookin after plants that have lives too? I guess I understand now that he is probably a lil too tired yet such creations of God, somehow takes one off the tiredness and stress the world brings sometime and juz brings a sense of calmness and relief.

So now, it's me against ants, cottony insects and Caterpillars!!

SNIP SNIP SNIP & SPROT SPROT!!

 

 

 

24 comments :

  1. pea pea...blog ni, kelakar...tapi touching jugak eh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. little things that u take for granted... now mean so much more. good luck with the lime plants dear...

    ReplyDelete
  3. In a way, you've got two gifts from your dad. One is the plants and the other is the joy of gardening. And an understanding of what he "saw" in the plants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey you can just use a satay stick and place it underneath the worm (~midway of its body) then it will curl up and u can throw them away =) grandma teachings...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehe... My cuzzin the Gradener! heheh... Somehow the sprouts that grew made me think of new beginnings continuing from where Arwah Pak Ude left off... And I'm glad you're taking over that responsibility. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nope, its an insect, not fungus. I had same problem the school plants too.. Then, I gave up. Anyway, one of home insecticides remedy is to use garlic and onion. I blended them and mix with water. Don't know about how to get rid of caterpillar though.

    Hmph.. All the best in continuing ur dad's legacy.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Caterpillars are live items too, and they revolve to be butterflies and moths in time. Best not to kill them, just throw the leaves down to the trees below. Anything happens there, let nature take its course.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is good that your late dad found something to do that made him calm and enjoy his time and get connected to nature....

    ReplyDelete
  9. good luck to all caterpillars,ants and cottony insects...
    How i wish my late father left me some stuffs to take care....

    ReplyDelete
  10. he might not have left u some stuff, but he left u someone who shared his life..i think dat is somethin more precious than anythin for a daughter to beget from the father...to become a better companion for the mother.

    he'd be proud of u :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. fridgebuzzz: thats how my mind works i guess..haha

    raf13: yeah littlest things that take me to a higher state of consciousness..whatever dat means..hee

    princessdyanne: joy of gardenin?? hmm more like a battle against pests! hehe

    deesdaily: eh? yes yes pls help me get rid of caterpillars...BT perhaps? LoL

    starrysummer: ouh tried that on the big juicy periwinkle caterpillars, they hardly budge!

    sitz: oh..new beginnings? ouh thats a nice way of seein things...profoundness

    prodigic: yeah send them flyin before they even become butterflies

    norhafi: eh? really? onions & garlics blended in water works on those cottony insects? aiyohh now my waterin pot will really stink up cos my mum puts "air beras" innit too!

    siti1280: heh ni bukan rajin, ni terpaksa take up the challenge u

    nebride: yeah...these are some of the things i've to learn from him :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. ma late dad loves gardening too..alhamdulilah the plants are still surviving..though sometimes i forget to water lol... take care ya soph ;) wishing u and advance selamat hari raya, maaf zahir dan batin. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. for the cottony thing, I used wet towel and wipe it off.. :) Ooo.. I'm an insect killer...

    ReplyDelete
  14. i'm an insect killer too hahaha....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ur father must be very proud of u.....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now you are a certified plant biologist! Hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  17. u put me to tears... your arwah dad must be grinning and smiling looking at u from above..tengok keletar anak kesayangan dia nie.. =) u take care!

    ReplyDelete
  18. somehow i was moved by the fact that wateva knots abt that lime plant, it just simply revokes dear memories....
    the jingle of the keys before he entered d house, the scrutiny look out for the crawlers...its all about him.
    i really feel for your mom....its painful to swallow but i hope she is coping well....

    and btw......................................im really thankful that i wasnt the poor soul walking down the block......coz.........

    "Grabbed a pair of scissors and snipped of the leaves that they were restin on, and throw them all downstairs..like they were on some magic carpet or somethin...eeewwwww!!! i felt guilty for awhile, cos they might suffer but oh well, some birds would thank me for the food man! hah!"

    aniaya kalo ulat jatoh kat tudung aku sophie oooooooiiii!!!!!! hahahahahah!!!
    SELAMAT HARI RAYA MAAF ZAHIR DAN BATIN.....

    ReplyDelete
  19. ladyjenna: u also ada plants to look after? hehehhe same same lah, i also forget to water the plants some times! salam aidilfitri to u too, my dear.maaf zahir batin!

    norhafi & shii81: bad bad people *alah i also same lah, esp. mosquitoes!*

    hemei & badawiyah: i hope so! take care babes :)

    glitterluxe: Bwahahahahah!!! aniaya indeeed, confirm kena maki sebakul pun tak cukup! thankfully, people hardly walk along my block..and i do look down to see where the leaves land..main peek-a-boo pulak dgn tu caterpillars! heh! Anyways, alhamdulillah, my mum is copin well but she do burst into tears out of a sudden sometime, i guess some memories are juz too emotionally painful to be controlled. i can only doa to God to give her strength & patience.
    SELAMAT HARI RAYA to u too babe, ahh how nice..celebratin with new family eh tis year! Happy happy for u! Maaf Zahir & Batin!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Look out for police and kaypoh aunties...they might accuse you of throwing killer litters!LoL!

    ReplyDelete
  21. wahaha.... reminds me of u in that zen-like pose....

    ReplyDelete