Friday 12 October 2007

Mammogram & Ultrasound


 

Somethin that ladies around my age are not usually particularly concerned about as mammogram are encouraged for ladies who are 40 years old and above.

I had mine done yesterday due to some pains that I experienced at certain spots of my breasts last week (still experiencin the pains till today too). My paternal aunt had breast cancer, my colleague too, so in the state of paranoia, I decided to go for a check up at the polyclinic when my mum had her check-up review on her liver. The doctor recommended me to go for the 2 examinations when she found that my breasts felt lumpy and tender. Scare the wits out of me when she told me that but I had to do what was best.

Consulted my colleague on how the mammogram is done and she said it was painful and the action mimics that of a machine that i was handlin at the point when I asked her. That machine's got 2 metal plates pressin a membrane in between and she said that the breasts will be like the membrane, and they will be flatten as much as possible,and the procedure will take about 2-3 minutes. OMG *GULP*

Mentally prepared of flattened boobs, I went to the Health Promotion Board yesterday, accompanied by the Man in Green, who took time out from servin the nation. Registered & was charged about $70 for the examinations (Actual price was $150 but because I was recommended by the polyclinic,so the fees was subsidised). Was led to a room and then, the action began. Firstly my breasts were pressed between an upper plastic plate and a metal lower plate vertically, meaning the breasts were squeezed towards the left and right accordingly. Then they were squeezed horizontally. Was it painful? YES... but bearable and the radiographer was also gentle and polite. Nothin traumatic, although minutes after the procedure, i still felt pain, kinda like someone had hit my breasts  and no, my breasts definitely did not turn out like the cartoon!! THANK GOD! Phew~

Then i went on for an Ultrasound scan, where I bugged the examiner to show me what was on her screen. Juz mases of fats/tissues...hmm interesting, reminds me of scenes on tv showin mothers lyin down and tryin to spot their lil foetus. That procedure although easy, all I had to do is juz lie there with arms raised with a cool clear gel slapped on my breasts, tellin her where I felt pain as the lady ran a scanner on the surfaces of my breasts and takin shots on the tissues, took quite awhile to get over and done with. 

Well, yeah that's abt all for my breast screening experience. Juz wanna share with u abt it, especially with the ladies, cos when we are ignorant, we tend to get spooked and scared of pains and such. So no worries, when it's ur turn to do it, don't be scared stiff, Relax & Just Do It!

Now in the midst of preparation of Eid, i could only hope & pray for the best for my well-being. I am so hopin that I am not sufferin Breast Cancer or havin lumps that need to be surgically removed! 

Waitin for the uncertainties to be cleared in two weeks time...

For that someone, who is also facin a similar kinda uncertainty, I will be prayin for u too. 

Be Strong. Be Positive. Keep Faith.

 

13 comments :

  1. insyallah things will be okay... will keep u in my prayers... (hugz)

    ReplyDelete
  2. insya Allah! thanx babe! ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Insyallah Cuzzin. You'll be fine. See you in awhile! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard and was well aware the procedure can be quite painful. I can only imagine. I hope your lumps are nothing serious. Have a good Aidilfitri... =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any ladies wanna do a check, pls do not hesitate to call me..



    Selamat Hari Raya, Maaf Zahir dan Batin Sophie!

    ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can relate to the feeling of uncertainty you had when the gynae during my first pregnancy spotted that the baby had a thick layer of skin on the back of his neck. Early signs of a down syndrome child. Alhamdulillah he is healthy but i had sleepless nites waiting for the results of my blood tests.

    Pray hard dear. InsyaAllah it's just signs of stress....Will join everyone in their doa for your health and well-being. Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I give free foot & leg massages!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Babe, hope its all ok go and in good health for u and your mum.
    Thanks for the info. I guess my fear would not be the pain, rather the wait for the results...hmm...
    Selamat Hari Raya Babe, Maaf zahir dan batin, halal makan dan minum. Miss you =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. haiz...i was thinking of going too...
    be safe than sorry later..
    nowadays...mcm mcm penyakit...

    ReplyDelete
  10. we'll all be ok... i like the "lumpy issues" tingy .....haha...*wink*....Selemat Hari Raya..

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey everyone thank u for ur well-wishes & concern.
    yeah i'm prayin hard that the results will not be worryin but meanwhile, i'm busily distracted with Major Feastin for the past two days of Hari Raya. hehe!
    hope u had a great Hari Raya/holiday/week end!

    ReplyDelete
  12. b4 the results, juz rememb to take gd care of ureslf :)

    ReplyDelete