Sunday 4 September 2005

To Be or Not to Be?

That is the question that has been weighin on my mind for a couple of days.


So wat's my problem? Let's see...


Back in July,a girl handed me her name card n requested for my number. I gave it to her and last Wednesday, someone from her company called. She said I was selected for an interview & needed one photo of myself. Hmm ok, it got me pretty excited so on Thursday, I bugged Dee on wat to wear & cuzzin Sitz to accompany to develop my makeover photos.


So then, Friday was D-day. Despite bein excited, I felt skeptical too. I had an interview with i Models Intl at the SIngapore Shoppin Centre. I personally have not heard of the company before but I have heard stories abt the scams of some model agencies. All they want is ur money, do up a portfolio with them, or sign up as a model but pay for make ups n stuff, but at the end of the day...very few or no assignments are given to u to make any profits. But anyways, I juz went to the interview and the interviewer said I look like a Hong Kong star upon seeing my makeover photos, which? She can't remember her name. Tsk tsk. She told me, she is lookin for bridal wear models and that will be what she have in mind for me if I join them BUT of course, I have to...Make a Portfolio and Comm card. Also, if there are assignments, 70% of the salary goes to me n the remainin 30% will be theirs. She quoted the prices for 3 dress change, 36 photos is $388 or 2 dress change, 24 photos is $288. Pffftt...I do not even have enough money to pay for my insurance, how the heck am I to raise such an amount? So I told her, I have to consider first and she gave me till Tuesday to get back to her.


After the interview, I bugged Dee further! Heh I can't help it, i AM interested cos hey how often do i get to be approached to be a Model?? Never before tis, it is like a once in a lifetime offer. Dee told me that, if I do not have money now, I could try & ask the agency to make my portfolio & comm card and work for them for free till the amt is raised. Wow...that sounds really appealin to me, then many Qs came to my mind. Do i have a sellable face that people actually wanna sign me up to don their dresses/promote their products? And how many assignments will i get, can i actually cover the initial input & actually make profit out of tis?? And if the agency agree to my terms, wat kind of assignments are there? Prospects? And the worst thing is, wat if the agency is juz out to grab my money?? hmmm...Tis kinda Qs cannot be answered till I put myself in the waters & see it for my own self. It's so risky yet so temptin .


Hmm come to think of it, why am i worryin over tis? I mean, I should ask the lady first if she is willing to the terms that Dee suggested. If she rejects it, then...isn't it such a waste of my time worryin over uncertainties? Silly me! Hmmm but i'd like to try & be a model , though it has never been in my "what i wanna be When i Grow Up?" list. Arghhh...so to be or not to be? Hmmmmmmmmm.....


 


P/S: got some new pics uploaded in my Phuket trip album, finally got pics of the rock structures that i have mentioned abt. haha that place made me feel like a bikini model. love it!

8 comments :

  1. I dunno how the model market is doing now so I cant give any insights. But what I can advise u is that if u decide to do it, do it for your very best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, there's a risk to everything, but if all of us take the safe route, we'll never fall and learn. Why don't you do as suggested by Dee and if you can make it, good for you. Don't worry about whether you have face value or etc, that's up to the agency. Your job is just to model. Anyway, before u sign the contract, READ THE FINE PRINTS.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can be my model ANYTIME...but i'm those lingerie agents eh...heheheh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still thinking huh? It is fun sometimes esp when you mix and mingle with the other girls but they can be a bitch too. The thing is, you need loads of patience and be very hardworking. You need to go to all the auditions they throw to you at anytime. So if you have the drive then I think you would have no problem. I hope she agrees to let you try it out and pay the cost of the comm card via installment. Update me ya? I'll teach you the catwallk for free :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. People, I have come to a decision...TO BE iyuan's model! hahaha!

    I'm not goin to enrol myself with i Models. Yesterday, before leavin to my cuzzin Sitz's place, i sat on my prayer mat & asked of God, to show me the way. If it's not meant for me to take on tis job, forewarn me.

    Then when i was on my to meet Liz, it juz occur to me that i have a freelance model fren. So decided to SMS him if i should sign up. He straight away SMS me back to call him up and when I did, he said he got a friend who used to work for tis agency. it IS one of those that Con people into makin portfolios & comm cards but they hardly do much pushing for assignments!! OoOoo I so THANK GOD he gave me a revelation & prevented me from wastin any money on the company! So THANK U LORD for answerin my prayers!!

    And THANK U MY DEAR FRIENDS esp. DEE(u literally walked me thru the whole model thingy! *squeeze ya*) for ur encouragements & support. Apparently, NOT TO BE a Model for i Model is the BEST choice for me. Sorry guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank God Sophie, you've got your answer. anyway, this reminds me of that day (during my secondary or was it poly years?) when someone approached me at Taka and wanted me to do the same kinda thing. Went up to the company, she showed me portfolios and explained how everything works but in the end I rejected it cos I have to pay hundreds for the make-up set and stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah Thank God we were not trapped!

    ReplyDelete