Thursday 1 September 2005

Happy ACES Day & Teachers' Day!

I had a really early start today. Woke up at 6.15am,my dad was kinda shocked that i was ironin my clothes earlier than him. I told him I gotta be at Khatib by 7.30am and it's for ACES(All Children Exercise S??dunno wat S stands for) day! For some of us here, ACES day was all abt the Great Singapore Workout rite? But let me update u guys, the system has changed! Primary school students now have Hip Hop & Kickboxing workshops!! How cool is that??


Anyways I was late and I kept picturing myself gettin into a panic frenzy when I join the rest of the instructors at the carpark or somethin. In my head..."Oh dear, I'm gonna screw up..Urgghhh Nooo" but thank God when I arrived, I realised the rest of the assistant instructors also did not know the routines. And that the ACES day thingy will be done in the Hall. And I was in time for the thingy. Phew...BUT then, it was announced that I will be assistin the Lead instructor ON stage in front of the children, right from Pri 1 to Pri 6 & their teachers!!! I'm a DEMONSTRATOR!! Goood God!!!!So SCARY ok....So many EYES on me, i do not have experience dancin Hip Hop & i am such a BOO BoO Queen!!!


Amidst the amountin madness that's takin place in my head, i had a lil flashback of myself...wayyy back in Sec 3 or 4, bein propped up on the canteen table at the school carpark, also as a demonstrator but to my buncha schoolmates, i remembered it was scary at first but i had a fun time...So i psyched myself up earlier"Don't Worry abt the steps, they'll fall in place...Let's juz Have Fun!"


So when i got on stage and looked down at the sea of students...I SMILED..it soo helped...tis curve thing always straighten things out! In no time, I was juz movin along, findin my confidence & comfort in the music despite my paranoia. it was quite a struggle but it all went pretty well for the Hip Hop section except for the last bit where the footwork was a lil foreign to me... the teachers wanted us to do a lil performance for the children with the steps we taught them so I juz whacked my own freestyle...ahaha i wonder how the heck did i look like?!?!! felt kinda pressured in between two experienced GUY instructors but was happy with my lil jiggy. Who cares, maybe no one was payin attention to me anyway!


Then came my favourite part...Kickboxing! Yeah!! Missed kickboxing aka Body Combat aka Cardio Combat! My Favourite Cardio workout! The Lead instructor re-introduced us and the children actually remembered my name when asked if they recall each of our names. Wheeee~


Tis part was juz a mere 30 min compared to an hour of Hip Hop! No fair!!! But I had a good time sweatin it out...altho i kinda made mistakes with my punches, arghhh RUSTY already...BUT it was ok i guess, the children were fast at gettin the steps right and they were a delightful bunch, well with just a few unethusiastic individuals. At the end of the session, the children were lookin all happy & were wavin at us as they made their way back to their classes.


What a wonderful learnin experience and good workout! And today, i finally met Eidza face to face instead of seein her in her headshot & Jez's photo albums in Multiply. I thought she looked kinda fierce but in reality, she's really sweet & friendly lah! Hehehe...hey Eidza, thanx for keepin us hydrated eh & nice meetin u


ok i'm not sure how many teachers there are in my contact list but hey,


HAPPY TEACHERS' DAY & Have a WELL-DESERVED HOLIDAY !!!


 

11 comments :

  1. Happy Sophie's Day:)

    Smoochies:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sophie's Day?? *LoL*
    Sean, Sean, Sean...u r puttin that curve thing on my face again :)

    {{hugs}}

    Have a Great day ahead, mister :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beb, does the song still goes like:-
    "Wake up of ur seat, onto ur feet and blah, blah, body like mine....
    it's Singapore, Singapore Workout time?"
    Hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey hey.. thx for helping out dearie. ACES Day stands for "All Children Exercise Simultaneously".

    Different schools do various activities. It isn't same for all. So its not hip hop and kickboxing for all primary schools. If you like, you can do more for us next year. haha...

    Happy Teacher's Day Sophie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sophie rawks sia! i hope u had fun hip-hopping and kick-boxing - i believe you should now be ready to lead the mdis students for their workout...hahahahaha... :)
    Happie teachers' day ms sophie

    ReplyDelete
  6. sopie, what do u do for a living, man? haha..but sure everything sounds fun!!awww...i miss our school days and our girl-guides campfire performances where we did the mortal combat and spice girls dance, remember. i bet ur a much better dancer than me now..mine's rusty..tulang pun rusty! haha
    happy teachers' day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hafi: OMG?!!! U still remember the freakin song?!?!!!! U r Amazing!!! Wahahaha!! Now no more icky song like dat. I believe the Anthem for tis year(not for ACES day) is..."I like to move it, move it!" from Madagascar,the children juz lurrrrve that song i tell u!

    Jez: Hey it was my pleasure, ahh so now we noe the children don't juz do hip hop & kickboxing, and i bet none does the Great Singapore Workout anymore!! Children nowadays get the grooviest things!

    Dee: Lead MDIS students? Hmmm y dun u suggest to our pathetic administrators or coordinators, then can liase somethin wif my dear Miss Jez, my manager. hehe

    Wiwi: Ermm i'm a part-time assistant dance instructor dear. U noe, i think wat we went thru together in Guiding & Hari Raya performances really help me deal with the dancey aspect of my work now, despite the fact that it was hmmm abt a decade ago. Ohoho who can forget our award winning Mortal Combat dance & Full-of-Attitude "Who Do You think You Are?" dance?? Ooo those were the Craziest moments of sec sch...and the only time i wore skirt way above my knees!! Ahahaha!! Aww come on girl, i bet u r still as Groovy....u do dance in ur bedroom when u on the Radio rite?! hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ladies. . .since you bunch luuuuurrrrrrrrvvvvveeeeeeee to dance. . .i'm gonna give u a little advice. . .
    be a kindy teacher!
    u can dance anyway u like. . .be awkward. . .be crazy. . .dont follow the rhythm. . .do silly moves. . .the best thing is the kids wont know! they'll love u for it. . they'll think u're the ultimate dancing queen and even follow ur moves!
    i always do it with the other teacher. . .we just put on some songs and just dance. . .
    when we first started doing it the kids were kinda "huh?". . .'my teachers gone crazy". . but after a while they start joining in and all of us have a fun time. . .
    so be a kindy teacher! u'll always be cool no matter what!
    hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh wow so tis is how u teach your students to unwind and relax thru dancing huh.. LOL... u muz teaching in a primary school?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eh u used the "Move it, Move it" song or not?? That song got my pupils all hyper!! hahah! U seem to have a whole load of fun dancin n prancin around too! anyways do local kindergartens do tis kinda stuff too?? i'm out of touch with the kindergarten syllabus nowadays, i tot dancin n bein creative are usually practised in montessories not typical PAP kindergarten.

    i can't imagine me handlin all the small people, whining n cryin n attention seekin, hmmm dun have the patience to pujuk them, even my pri 1 students also i have to talk myself through to be nice & tender & caring, anythin smaller...i highly doubt i can handle in a mass, unless all we do is dance & sing! no whinings, cryings attached. ahaahhaha!

    Btw Jez, my fren here teaches at one of the international school in town. handle all kinda small children! she's like their Hi-5 star i guess! hehehe.

    ReplyDelete