Thursday 3 January 2008

The Norm is Not Tis

Yeah new year...new hopes, new job perhaps?

Today, I went for an interview...6.30pm at a retro flat (that reminded me of flats along River Valley Road) in Haig Road. I thought it would be an office space or perhaps somethin of a commercial set up *i had Dance Atelier & Star Horizon office set-up in my mind* but i got slightly lost & confused in my head facing the flats. Ok the address was definitely correct, and there were definitely doors on the ground floor. It took me awhile to find the unit number. Initially, jittery bit me even before I stepped out of my lab because my last interview was in March 2007, and that was at a research institute and here I am, tryin my luck again, tis time in front of a run down retro flat with nice grill & door?! I grinned as I felt a potential adventure with positive vibes ahead...even tho tis does not involve any backlanes *must be the retro atmosphere*. WoW!

My interviewer opened the door after my call cos she cannot hear the doorbell rang or my knock on that beautifully carved door. I looked in and i saw the interior was rather bare with juz white boxes on my right and white dining set on my left. EhH?!

Ok i was totally unprepared for tis bare scene of the living room but soon enuff, my interviewer welcomed me to her office in a room and we were literally caught up in the interview for 2 hours! yes 2 hours!! My Good Lord, what have u set me up to?

Firstly, prior to this interview, she read and shortlisted me after readin my not-so-formal cover letter which was basically an email telling the company that I am looking for a job that has scientific, educational & fun elements in it, and since the company was looking for a creative individual, I gingerly attached "a lil showcase of my creativity" (see pic). I had a 50-50 chance for the company to take in tis "nonsense" application seriously but yesterday when my interviewer called she said that she does not want me to be amongst the last people she wanted to interview, she wanted to see me soon and even volunteered to hold it for me at 6.30pm, after I knock off from work! Whoa!

And what I could not fathom was during that 2 hours interview, she did not even want to see my degree cert or any of my qualification papers!! She was only looking for this: A candidate who is passionate about nurturing minds and one who can contribute to put FUN into the learning of science & geography, especially in ecology & environmental topics!!

I still cannot believe that such employers actually exist here! she's like a hippie beatnik with so much trust & energy! fancy running an educational company in that retro flat, then, a no need qualifications interview and work is mostly FUN in the SUN! I WANT!!! I SO WANT THE JOB & THAT RETRO FLAT AS MY HEAD OFFICE!!!

I AM a CREATIVE KID!! PICK ME PICK ME!!!!! ME ME ME!!!

*psst my friends, pls pray that i'll get it ok!! hee thanks*

 

 

30 comments :

  1. Ya Allah ya Tuhan kami, restui lah pemintaan hamba mu, Saofiah Bte Mohd Yusof.....Amiiiin..

    P.S: You have to get the job mesye, the description fits you perfectly! Its their lost if they dont!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Insya-Allah, good luck kak supi. tell me the good news soooooon.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. my prayers are always wif ya darling...all e best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I assumed your potential employers are Chinese? All the best madame!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the besttt ..anyways the job sounds fun...what will u be doing if u get it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well for 2 hrs of interview, I'll definately will pray for u. Amin...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you get it... : ) Insyaallah...

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooh now i noe ur real name....retro jugak!! hehehhe
    insya allah u will get the job tat fits u nicely..........amin!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Im praying for u babe..InsyaAllah, you will get it

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cuzzin I've been excited for you eversince that chat we had.
    Super cool lah... How many company would actually do that. I lioke!
    Insyallah.... The rezeki will be yours.

    P/S: I like the pic! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  11. Girl I so pray you get this! Sounds like an adventure than a job and frankly speaking, we all need these little adventures in our lives! And I do think you are so right for the job, just based on your quirkiness and zany-ness and all! *all fingers crossed*

    ReplyDelete
  12. wooohhh tats so cool.. like my home office set up! wish u all the best sweet sophie! chia yoh!
    p.s i like the way she interviews! and how u submit ur resume/email. uniquely done. creative yo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you get to become a Field Trip Instructor? It sounds very interesting! What's the company name and position of job babe?
    Best of luck. It kind of sounds like a job I had once. BTW, Absolutely loved every minute and second of it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. iyuan: amin amin, makbulkan lah doa hamba Mu ini...siap dgn nama penuh skali dia sebut! hahah!

    glitterluxe: hehehe now u noe! remember the retro name eh, not many ppl noe tau on Multiply n not many have my name too ;b

    raspberrymelon: insya Allah..i hope there'll be indeed good news to announce to u!


    winnpat, norhafi, rosswaja, vibrantskin,deesdaily: thank u dearies :)

    sitz: yeah yeah! i've never heard of any company/boss like that! hopefully hopefully!! hee yes, that's the jellyfish from Bondi i told u abt! hahah!

    siberyantz: yoohoo!! hee thanx! i'll most likely conduct classes in schools, bring students & adults out to seashores/coasts/mangroves in Singapore, also in time design n plan out educational programmes that allow learning in a more fun & creative environment...bringin textbook materials to life, in that sense!

    nebulaenova: ah u describe the job exactly as what i am feelin abt it! haha u think i'm quirky n zany eh? these characters of scare the livin daylights of my mum! she's always scared that whenever i go out, i will be up to some nonsense or how she puts it "benda tak senonoh"!

    ejadam: yes! like a SoHo..ol skool style! u noe babe, she reminded me of both u & Jez...haiyoh, can go on n on talkin with no drop in energy level! damn i miss u Hyper Gila ladies u noe!! it's people like u who made me wanna grow out of my comfort zone, explore possibilities/ideas and juz have/make fun while touchin and bringin light to others at the same time!

    diannal: yeah sorta field trip instructor cum planner/facilitator...the post i applied for is Programme Executive/Educator. check out the company's site, www.creativekids.com.sg what job was it that u do previously...facilitating school groups to less-travelled places in Singapore?

    ReplyDelete
  15. sophie: tis a small world & I've worked with one of their staff before. A very cool gal Dionne is! She'd know me. I lost her contact tho. Ask if they need part-time trainers. I've done all of that- bringing textbooks to life and in a way, I am still involved in making learning more engaging and fun.

    I checked out Creative Kids pretty organized website and have a good idea of what they do. Yes, I've conducted countless Nature Field Trips in practically all the nature areas in Singapore, Farm Trips and Marine Science Workshops at the Tropical Marine Science Institute on le offshore island. Caught marine plankton with nets, sea creatures in the mud, played with the animals in the touch pool ( sea stars, sea cucumbers and the like ). The piece de resistance or all-time favourite trip was one I co-organised, planned and conducted- an Eco-Marine Conservation Trip to a beautiful m'sian island.

    Its a much more fun job than teaching in school. Tiring but satifying and fun. I think your lively self is suited for the job and you'll get the job.

    ReplyDelete
  16. im praying for u too cuzzin!
    get the job then we can hang out after work..!
    so near my place..hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh the Dionne on the website ey? KEWL! i've only met the founder of that company, yet to meet the team!
    and yes, i wanna get involved in all those that u did..it's kinda gratifyin isn't it when u put in much effort to create or organise somethin and it takes off? especially seein the eyes of people light up & seein them in such joy participatin in what u have planned or brought them to.

    thanks dianna for sharin some insights! hopefully the job's mine. i can only pray to God to make it happen now... :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. yeahh...PARKWAY PARADE would probably my 3rd playground then!

    ReplyDelete
  19. tink 'king rat and his servants' darling supi! hehe.... InsyaAllah things will go well... good start to the year! wahh... playing in muddy swampies? sounds fun! that so you!!

    and hmmm jus a tot... haf u tried looking at NPARKs? i got frens in there playing in mud and doing research as well... no kiddies involved tho...

    ReplyDelete
  20. bwahaha yes! my rat king won his team mc donald coupons!! *big grin*
    yes i did applied at NParks, no luck!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Give me the address of this retro flat.Me and Ria will hold placards that says, " Pick Saofiah!!" or "She's the one, she No.1!" or something like that lah....
    Until they give you the job! Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  22. told ya u'd aced it... dun worry....:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. princessdyanne: muahahahha!!!
    shasya: *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  24. haha...sounds like a cool job..
    if you go on any field trip and need another "eco-person" jangan lupa call me yah..haha

    ReplyDelete
  25. supi..supi..i can imagine ur excited giler nyer...all the best of luck dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. So when will you hear from them?
    Best of luck...
    IF(Big fat IF) all else fails, my offer still stands! Dun play-play!

    ReplyDelete
  27. i dunno when...i didn't ask for exact waitin period. heh.
    ok! "pick Saofiah! pick Saofiah!!" hahah

    ReplyDelete