Sunday 27 January 2008

Second Stab? Take Initiative & Be Prepared!

Having had my contacts ask me whether I got the Creative Kid job, I decided to finally give the ladyboss a call after waiting for 3 weeks. She said some NUS graduates applied for the post recently and she was still sifting through candidates for the job. She told me that she will email me the schedule of future trips on the evening that I called, so that I can join in and have a feel of what the job will be like, but 4 days on, still no email from her. I tried reaching her again yesterday but no respond. Hmmm what lukewarm follow-up after such an excitin potential of employment...I was really hopeful but...

In a twist of fate though, I had another interview tis week! Initially I was not very keen abt applying for the job because I was highly anticipating for Creative Kid to call and it involves tissue culture but Liza (formerly peanutgal) talked me into it, that I decided to just give it a go. So my CV landed into her Prof's hand and an interview session was set up. Gulp! My first 3-man panel interview, 1 Professor and 2 Doctors..oh God! My CV was scrutinised and read out by the Prof. and every now and then he shoots me questions of what I have studied and done in the past. I didn't really try to recall the technicalities that I have done in the previous research lab before I went for the interview but somehow, i cruised thru! Phew~

Surprisingly, as nervous as I was, I was rather collected and felt comfortable being in the same room as these 3 "big shots". One of the most memorable question, which stunned me for awhile was tis, by the Prof: "Do u noe the word INITIATIVE? Has the lab people in ur current job or previous used tis word? Tell me what is ur perception of tis word?" I almost laughed out loud upon hearing tis question...EHH?? Testing my English or what?? But I replied  and he was rather happy with it. And then he started advising me saying that in research work we need a lot of initiative and people in my position must help to drive and wind up the PostDocs to move the research works forward. Wahhh not the easiest thing to do but Inspiring! And before the interview was over, one of the Doctors asked, "So u were a Girl Guide? What post did u hold? And what company did u belong to?" Another stunner..what has Guiding gotta do with tis post??? took a couple of seconds to get over it and in one breathe "I was the Commander and I belonged to 3rd COY SOUTH!" and out came my silly proud smile. Hah! To think i was really sheepish when the Prof read out my ECA in the earlier part of the interview. The Doctor gave that approving "ok-u-noe-ur-stuff" smirk and started to tell me abt the Guides motto and that she believe I would apply the values I learnt during my Guiding days in my work. Hah! The Doctor was previously a Guide too as I gingerly asked if she was. So..brownie points? hehehe

And the next day, the other Doctor called and congratulated me cos I was picked to be the best candidate around! SERIOUSLY?? He said I did really well and was impressed by the way I presented myself during the interview and they want my service ASAP. Wahhh! Now I'm in ONE BIG DILEMMA, i told myself after puttin down the phone!

These past couple of days, kept questioning myself which job do I really want and I had to weigh out the pros n cons of them both. While Creative Kid would be so ideal for my personality, travel desires and money growth, I realise that there's still a part of me that wanna take on the research challenge, improve myself on where I left off when life was not too smooth few months back and see myself excel or live through my adolescence dream ambition. To be honest, I am still kinda traumatised with my past experience but I wanna face it all again and hopefully drive myself to be better and replace those demoralisin memories with positive ones! And gettin a Rose after the interview (given out by some NUS students who were organisers of V-Bash -whatever that might be!?-), sure seems like a good sign...make me feel like one..waiting to BLOOM!

So yes, Lab Rat i shall remain and a Creative one i'll strive to be! 

43 comments :

  1. Whatever it is, both sounds tremendously exciting. Well, more exciting than what I do, LOL! And I wish you the best of luck (as if you needed one, really)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you will be happy with whatever choice you made...making a good impression to big shots shows that your capabilities...bravo...hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done!!!
    Good luck with "facing your demons". May the experience be better than the previous one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nebulaenova: thanx babe! sounds excitin but it comes with big challenges, i'm not sure if i can deal with them again but if i didn't try again, i will not noe. yes i do definitely need much luck, hopefully when all the admin works are settled *pay package & benefits haven't discuss lah*, i would be able to adapt to this kinda lab environment. heyyy u juz started out ur new business...how can u say not excitin?? i feel excited for u n ur Diaper Cakes venture ah! All the best to u too babe, may ur business prosper & ur creative juice flow & flow!

    nebride: hopefully i will match the expectation that comes with the impression ah...and yeah, hopefully too that it is a choice i will be happy with and not regret it. thanx elnie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Insya Allah!
    u n ria can keep the picket/banner for me 1st eh...if tis research work is really not suitble for me, then we go to Creative Kids' head office and chant the magic words k!
    thanx yan~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I shall support you which ever you choose ok...as long as the 40D is there for me....LoL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations babe. The main thing is adapting to new environment quickly as it is a new experience in every new workplace, so have a lot of patience ok. U should also consider the priorities of why u are getting a full-time job for? All the best ok.

    ReplyDelete
  8. all d best my lab rat...hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm... Look at it this way cuz, memang dah rezeki. So good luck in ur new job, whichever it is. =D ((HuGz CuZ Sophie!))

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow! sounds like the slacko-relaxo period is a well off period of your time. AM so happy for you to get a good job. seems your interviewers know what they want, and its you. Good luck and well done again! BIG HUGS! am sure the ka-ching is good too! :)alhamdullilah syukur!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ahh..all da best dear cuzzin in ur new job!
    1st gaji..give me a treat!
    -chuckles-

    ReplyDelete
  12. Eh.... I also want!!!
    *Jumps up and down*
    hehe

    ReplyDelete
  13. iyuan: hurhurhur.insya Allah
    prodigic: priority for full-time job...hurhur my mum's been buggin me to save up for...jeng jeng jeng! ahahaha
    glitterluxe: -squeak squeak- translation: thank u!
    halftank: aye fellow lab rat...eh no, now u garden rat, rite? heh
    sitz: yeah the wonders of how God works out ur life...expect the unexpected and what ur heart desire sometime may not be the best for u..hopefully what God plans for me would bring more goodness in my life and those ard me :) thank u cuzzin ((hug))
    eminozy: thank u dearie! Alhamdulillah indeed :)
    boneeta: heyyyyy i haven't even signed the contract u wanna "cukai" already ah?? hahah insya Allah...hopefully the pay's good...waitin for the HR to get back to me...pray hard! who noes...i might have enuff to treat u & sitz....err...mc flurry?? hahahhaha

    ReplyDelete
  14. hehehehehehehehe!
    mc flurry pun mc flurrylaa~

    ReplyDelete
  15. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA.. yey can share!

    ReplyDelete
  16. nak mcflurry tooooo!!!! ((HUGZ)) to supi! keep te faith... and whichever path u choose, InsyaAllah it will be full of new experiences that will definitely make ur life more meaningful...

    ReplyDelete
  17. hey u also wanna "cukai" me? ish! haha!
    insya Allah...may i be guided me in that direction :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. yayy...u treat us all!!!
    muacks muacks to kak supi..!

    ReplyDelete
  19. can u recite the shameles.com motto again?

    ReplyDelete
  20. if she cant, she wont get it! lol

    ReplyDelete
  21. so so? u taking it? more lunches together? wheeee....

    ReplyDelete
  22. You all take queue number ah..i will get my treat first!

    ReplyDelete
  23. tak minta tak dapat!!
    hahahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  24. that's only part one of the phrase:
    the continuation is:
    2) Kalau minta tak semestinya dapat.........
    3) Manusia boleh bercadang tetapi Tuhan sahaja yang menentukan.....

    There you go...the motto of the Multiply Gang's shameless.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. eh...can pack the mcflurry and send over???
    ;p

    ReplyDelete
  26. prodigic: ahahhaha yeah dia jawab tak complete! cukai balik the mc flurry! nyahahahha
    iyuan: wahhhh u also ah mesye? haha
    boneeta: heyyy u only get 1/3 right!
    halftank: ha the proud member!
    princessdyanne: alamak u.....by the time reach u, it ferment already ah! u come back here, then we'll go for some k! will treat u n ria yummy mcflurry~

    ReplyDelete
  27. waitin for HR to process...if all goes well, yeah more canteen-hoppin lunches together~

    ReplyDelete
  28. LoL... So your reserching hours is office hours?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Spoken like a true, blue lab rat!
    Well done....looks like you're in the lab rat mode and all!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. prodigic: officially it is, but i'm not so sure how i'll get by...i juz really really hope i won't end up goin home as late as 10pm like the last one tryin to deal with them cells!
    princessdyanne: hehehe yeah kinda excited abt it!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh ok.. learn well and learn fast ok babe..!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Guess what?? The Prof called me tis aftnoon and CALLED OFF the CONTRACT cos i have problem with joinin their team as soon as possible, in their terms. I was too shocked to question n juz accepted his reasons. So...hurhur...sorry peoples no Mc Flurry for u. (but now i've written him an email to reconsider lah..dunno what'll the outcome will be..hmm i dun wanna hope too much)

    i'm back at SQUARE ONE..congrats, i almost got the job but almost doesn't count. thanx for sharin my shortlived joy..

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hmm its ok. Everything happened ade hikmahnya. U might never know that when u got it, u might not be happy working. Anyways no McFlurry's takper altho I didnt ask for one, just come perut kosong for ALL-YOU-CAN EAT buffet at 2 locations this weekend yah!!
    -grinz-

    ReplyDelete
  34. oOOoooOoo DEFINITELY, MR GROOM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. ((hugss)) babe... A shortlived joy is a joy nonetheless...its a door to more joys coming....

    ReplyDelete
  36. agreed sophie. life is a cycle, before i got the opportunities, for two weeks i was not having the best of days...
    HE works in mysterious ways but HE knows what is good for his followers...insyallah

    ReplyDelete
  37. {{hugs}}
    Errr...can I take out my placards now????

    ReplyDelete