Monday 31 January 2005

Trial Session@True Yoga


Ahah yeah finally i managed to motivate myself to go for True Yoga trial sessions since that was the very reason why i bought January's issue of Her World.

So Saturday, I reached Pacific Plaza right on time, to be greeted by the staff at True Yoga's towel counter....Namaste! I looked around and i realise the yoga centre is pretty open concept. There was a lounge, restroom and 2 studios.The towel counter is pretty much outdoor, the restrooms are real roomy and clean. Very nice. Studios are very clean too but pretty much for all to see as they were juz made of glass panels, and escalators serving the public run juz outside the studios. The facilities look exactly like shown in the magazine and website.

Now abt the class. I attended Yoga Combat. It's made of 70% kickboxing and 30% yoga. Hmm was not too impressed with the combat part cos i was expectin somethin that really increase my heart rate and flying kicks and all...but no, things were pretty mellow in the class and the instructor was busy tryin to interact with students on the floor that everyone lost their rhythm. Ok nvr mind that, cos when it comes to Abs section of tis class, Fooh...i struggled! I am really weak when it comes to workin out the lower abs muscles, what more when i haven't even done any leg lifts for almost a year or so! Oh finally..somethin that really felt like a work out! Done with my combat and abs, we proceeded to do some sun salutation poses. Tis i'm ok, no comments as it went good.

Then abt 10 mins before the class ended, all of us were to lie down and rest on our tummies, close our eyes and focus on our breathin. I'm ok wif it too, except that I can't close my eyes and i saw someone hoppin from one person to another. It was the instructor. I wondered what was it he was doin but didn't think much abt it and closed my eyes till he came and massaged me! Yes! Massaged me, from my neck to my back! He pressed my back against the floor and I could hear it go "Krek,krek krek". I was Shocked to get such a treatment! I wasn't told abt it and the bloody instructor was a Guy! I was new there but he didn't ask for my permission. I could have protested but hmm bein in the yogic environment, i think it's better not to disturb the peace. After givin massages to ALL the students, the instructor went back to his platform and sit for meditation. By then, i'm a lil squirmy already. Ohm....Santhi...my head's hearin the hums but i'm too scared to say the chant cos what the hell is ohm santhi?! I dunno the meanin...so i decided to juz breathe.

Now my back aches but i hope it's not because my spine's fractured or somethin, hope it's realigned instead. I've got 2 more sessions to attend but I guess i'm too culture shocked to attend anymore classes. Oh did I mention that chants were played in the restrooms too? Is tis THE true way of practisin yoga? If it is then ermms it's not for me, i guess. Juz too spiritual and more massagin from a guy instructor?? Errr no thank u.....

11 comments :

  1. So, does that mean u r going to try something from sport for life?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope so babe...so u aint going no more?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hafi: Yup i will, i'll be waitin for the nxt Kickboxin session tt's offered at west zone's SSC and rope u in!

    Lydia: I doubt I'll be able to make it again durin the given trial period...there's still a slight discomfort down the back. plus i ain't too comfy with the meditatin and massagin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. well i went for yoga and we did the sun slautation techniques as well..its one of the three main techniques for yoga but its readily accepted cause its the easiest to practice and master.
    answering your few queries:
    1) i didnt get the "message" ever...so he might be adding the "siamese" press. its supposed to loosen the joints but i doubt it will break your spine or anything. your body is pretty hardy lah.
    2)tell him you are not comfortable. why keep quiet. that way he knows and hopefully he wont do it again, out of respect for you.
    3) Ohm means peace but it has buddhist background, something about nirvana. its "chanted' because the way it is spoken helps you to control your breathing. i dont really chant this cause i tend to 'hyperventilate' .hehe.
    4) hehe...this is besides the point but the yoga you are taking is actually steps to worship the sun (it's a pagan rite). are you super religious? i am not trying to forbid you from practising it lah cause if you are like me, i take it as exercise and dont really think too much about anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. respond to ur comments, hafiz:

    1. oh dat thing he did was siamese press? i c, he literally pressed my back to the floor. my colleague who used to dance also said that she and her friends used to do that to each other to loosen up.

    2. i kept quiet cos i dun wanna disturb the peace and distract other students. it was dead quiet u noe!

    3. Ok...so it means peace. i actually said out the ohm part, the instructor took forever to finish that one word in one breath, i noe how u feel dude! Hahaha! that's y i decided to juz breathe too.

    4. Do i look Super Religious to u?? Harhar! Well, i am actually innit for the health benefit, dude. I've attended Power Yoga classes b4, I enjoyed it alot, there wasn't any chantin or massages involved. Sun salutation is Great too, easy but efficient in toning up my body. I like what i did in those classes, esp. the Cobra, the Tree, the Eagle and Half Moon. Made me more focused and alert and gave me a sense of achievement at the end of each session. Unfortunately, my instructor took off for a better career else where and I haven't got the enthusiasm to practise yoga(and other exercises) by myself.

    Well,I'm not too bothered abt the yoga poses too, cos to me, they are juz motions to stretch my body and to give me some physical endurance. That, in my opinion, is not Syirik or Sinful. Dun u find some poses similar to our praying ritual too? Sweet isn't it, what God make us do for 5 times a day, a lil chat and stretch wif Him?

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's why u must try to do more than 5! free "yoga" sessions & receive pahala too! har har har.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dalam hati dia cakap, "Kalau dapat 5 tu dah Alhamdulilah... Selalu tak cukup. Hehe.."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well The only thing i know bout yoga is ...its CRAP!!! ahahah...but only cool side is u can do Yoga Flame!! those never play street fighter too bad....and 5x /day thing...i am Triple S.....

    ReplyDelete