Thursday 9 March 2006

No Punchline

Isn't too pleased with myself today. As always, when it comes to doin presentation and persuasion to a big group of people! It is juz not my thang!!

I had to introduce & pull JC newbies to join Kickboxing tis afternoon. After my Physical Combat class in the mornin, a colleague decided to rope me in to demonstrate Kickboxing to the students. I was totally fine & excited abt the idea since I am pretty familiar with Kickboxing & Cardio Combat so, a few sets of 8 is GREAT! I found the perfect music and practised my moves in the cosy toilet of Century Square (yeah the 2nd floor one that has a damn big mirror with comfy couch and tables for make-up!), so after assistin in another school, i was pretty much set to go!

Then while I was on my way to that JC, i was told to PROMOTE Kickboxing instead of juz demonstratin and tellin them what they will be taught. My demonstration was almost scrapped but thank God it wasn't! So within abt half an hour I had to crack my brain to think of how to attract these students to join the activity. I wrote some benefits down in points but I did not have time to rehearse out and add some spice to them. Kinda demoralised...and when i was in the school hall, the students were almost dead. Greeting sounded so loathful...no zest, no enthusiasm. My colleague went on n on abt yoga and even got the students to do a lil balancin act. I was tryin hard to remember what the hell i wrote in my notebook, and the next thing i noe, the mic was in my hand.

SHIT! Stage Fright!!

My hand was tremblin and i can't hide it...tried my best to focus and remember the main points but the tremblin won't go away. So i juz had to quit talkin and get into my groove instead. I hesitated to pick up the mic again after the demo, kinda scared that i might end up repeatin all over what i have said before. Urghhhh i juz so hate it when i'm like tis! I am so sure that I would be able to present myself better if i had some time to myself to plan out and think aloud of what to say. Spontaneous Smooth operator i am not...dammit!! How am i to overcome such shit?

Sure, plannin & practisin makes perfect, but sometimes circumstances juz do not allow that. How, how do i overcome gettin panicky and be all confident to give instructions clearly as well as reach out to the masses with an impact Spontaneously? i'm always jittery when it comes to such things!! Tis habit of mine is really I-R-R-I-T-A-T-I-N-G!

And u noe how many people actually signed up for Kickboxing? Abt 15...not even half the number of students that signed up for the other 2 classes demonstrated with it. I could only make myself feel better by sayin, well they already have a Compulsory Body Combat class to attend so probably they might noe that Kickboxing & Body Combat are almost the same, so they'd rather learn some other stuff rather than juz kickin n punchin abt all the time and the class was scheduled at a bad timing, kinda late since the students will be havin school the next day. hmmmmms...i juz hope i won't be shut out from doin any more demos/promotions because of my first experience. bummer...





13 comments :

  1. well, dear.. u have to start somewhere and ao what if ur first time u didn't succeed.. A quote from Sex and The City.. "We are normal human beings and when we fall, we just have to pick ourselves up again..." Neway, trust me. From classes, I know u are way better than me in presentation and such. For me, I can just blab nonsense..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey babe..i think i would do worse off than u in the same situation. hey..i think practice is all it takes...u did well teaching us belly dancing.....i think next time just blur out everyone else in the room..thats how i do it and maybe cos u dont have ample time to prepare, with time and practice u can be a great presenter cos babe, u've got the energy

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah i'm the type who can usually do presentations when i've rehearsed my lines. can't help it i guess, the last time i did some mass presentation was at X-Fly which was what? Almost a year ago?! Thank God i didn't freak out lah, lagi buruk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. heyyy....i think the other girls are right la....blur out everything else, focus....but not tooo focused, start with a short breathing exercise before that n it'll be ok. besides, its ur 1st time....u will get used to it, n know what to do for the next time..of course, preparations help! but enuff of that....u girls get a couch in the toilet????? that is sick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ey dude, i practised the tips almost every time i have to face audiences: blurring, breathing..still shit happens.

    well for someone who faced fidgety students doin some combat exercise under the sun, a cosy couch in a dry, air-conditioned restroom is the perfect place to juz slack n relax! throw in some nice world music...nyce, if only there were some scented candles and dimmed light as well...ahhhh... i spend almost half an hour slackin in the toilet every Wednesday u noe...so shiok...only at the Exclusively for Ladies level. hee! wat's so sick abt that ey?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think he meant by "sick" is actually cool.. American Nigga slang..

    ReplyDelete
  7. relax babe... stage fright is pretty common... pls even for me! esp now we haf to do shows to public instead of jus classes. that time i had a rehearsal with all my team-mates and bosses present i totally goofed the whole show! true true that practice makes perfect, now i can rattle off tesla to hundreds of people no sweat. hee. i jus block them out from my view... :) u go gurl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. U sure?! Heh.. When I'm part of the audience, well.. u stammered.. a bit! LoL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Put it this way u have it or u dont ah mesye..lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. ya lah...dats y u become pwotoon sergeant and i'm not ;b

    ReplyDelete
  11. kekeke i know how that feels ;P butterflies in the stomach. . .grins

    ReplyDelete
  12. butterflies in stomach & throat! heheh

    ReplyDelete